Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Seasonal


I'm not ashamed of my faith. I believe it helps inform me when I make important decisions, but not in a way my critics say they do. I can certainly distinguish between basing my decisions on universal values and imposing my personal religious beliefs. I am careful not to do the latter. Of that, my conscience is clear.

This has been a remarkable year. It marks the closing of this administration and the dawning of a new era with the election of an African-American to the highest office in the land. I've made a great deal of criticisms of President-Elect Obama's policies, but that in no way means that I am not proud of the fact that we have come such a long way in our struggle as a nation to deal with the darkest parts of our past. On the contrary, I am filled with renewed hope for our country that we can move forward to seek justice and find the promise of freedom available to every one of our citizens. It is historic and it is a source of pride. I wish him, his wife Michelle and their daughters a pleasant sojourn in this great House as Barack Obama leads our nation.

In the meantime, I'm going to wish anyone reading this a very pleasant holiday season and a very Merry Christmas and to pray for peace in our lifetimes for the sake of our children.

Now it's time to do some serious scarfing down of Laura's Christmas cookies. I've already ordered several gallons of milk to the residence. Say goodbye to the belt.

God bless.

W