Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Ukraine and NATO


Looks like I’m the lone wolf again.

My good friend, Viktor Yushchenko, wants Ukraine to join NATO and I’m all for it. We’re keeping our eyes on the Middle East, specifically Iran, and Europe is right next door. If we can get Ukraine into NATO, we’ll be building a bloc of military support in that region that will help us hold back any threat from the Middle East (I’m looking at you, Amahdinejad).

Problem now is that the rest of the NATO members are leery about accepting the Ukraine into the fold because Putin and the Russians are dead set against it. With all due respect to my comrades in the former (and I mean ‘former’) Soviet Union, memories of these antiquated cold war rivalries have got to fade from view. Our beef isn’t with Russia anymore. We’re trying to secure the Middle East. Western Europe doesn’t want to ruffle any feathers with the Russians to help in future negotiations over who-knows-what. This is some kind of twenty-first century detente that I don’t believe we need to revisit. These folks out here have to catch up with current events.

The cold war is over. We won. Let’s move on.

By the way, my computer’s getting all wonky on me. I need to speak to Chase, my techno guru, and see if he can help me out. I’m beginning to lose patience. here.

Anyhoo, it’s just another day at the office.

W