Tuesday, April 8, 2008

McCain in Hot Water Because of Hagee


I have a bad feeling about what will happen to my good friend and apparent Republican presidential nominee, John McCain, come November.

He’s received an endorsement from the Reverend John Hagee. With all due respect to our good friend and pastor, he is, right now, exactly the wrong guy we need. Despite all his good works and intentions, people see him as some apocalyptical fruitcake. Laura doesn’t think too much of him, to say the least (that’s what happens when you’re as literate as she is). And he does come off as anti-Catholic and a bit of a zealot when it comes to Israel. Well, let’s be honest and admit that he’s a distinct liability to the McCain campaign.

And now everyone is back-pedaling, refusing to comment on the endorsement. John’s people are saying nothing and even the Reverend has refused requests from the press to talk about it. There’s some embarrassing damage control going on here and it’s making the GOP look terrible (as if we really needed the help right now).

This whole Hagee debacle has made the Obama-Wright controversy look like a Sunday school picnic by comparison.

My only consolation is that I’m out of this whole campaigning racket and sticking to just running the country till I finish up my part in January. I’ve done what I could to rally our troops around John’s candidacy. Now it’s up to the American people to look past all this fracas and judge the man on his leadership and experience and not the yahoos he hangs around with.

Best of luck, John. You’re gonna need it.

W