Monday, April 7, 2008

Back From Russia


I’ve just returned from my meetings with various European leaders and I must admit a vague sense of frustration as I’ve made our case for creating greater security in that part of the world, but it seems that there’s a great deal of reluctance on the part of the national leaders over there.

First, there’s the whole reticence over allowing the Ukraine entrance into NATO. I talked about that earlier.

Then there was my meeting with Mr. Putin.

Vladimir was a gracious host, and despite our differences, we were able to have a good time. I cut a rug as usual with the locals and I tell ya, I really don’t care anymore that people make fun of the way I dance. I’m doing it for the fun now. And it’s the only time the press lays off the cutting criticism which they so love to do these days.

Anyhoo, I’ve been trying as hard as possible to convince Vlad that the planned defense shield is not meant as an offense against Russia. Like I’ve said, we don’t have a bone to pick with them anymore. We won the Cold War. Our real target is Iran.

Try as I might, there didn’t seem to be any convincing Vlad that this is the real threat we are facing. That’s the thing about Europeans. They’re all still living like it’s 1945. Or 1963. Or 1985. Or whatever. We’re in a different world. It’s post-9/11. We have new threats on our doorstep and it’s time to act.

Right now, I’m just glad I can finally eat solid, American food. Those cabbage rolls just don’t know if they’re coming or going. Big Macs are on me.

W